Full Vineman and Clif Bar Team Up To Give You The Chance To Win Back Your Entry Fee
Starting in 2011 Vineman teamed up with long time sponsor Clif Bar and ran a contest to win back your entry fee with Clif Bar "recycling" the entry fee to one Full Vineman participant. Yes, for 2013 we are again offering athletes registered for the Full Vineman a chance to win back their entry fee. At the same time you will be helping out the environment. How you ask? Simply save energy bar, granola bar or cereal bar wrappers (they must have a silver lining...no gel packets or fruit roll wrappers) from now until race day and bring them with you to packet pickup the day before the race or on race day to the finish line.
In May of 2008 Vineman signed up for the TerraCycle wrapper brigade and to date, with the help of Vineman participants, has recycled over 61,000 wrappers. We are especially excited to have Clif Bar on board with our contest as they are a founding partner of Terracycle’s Energy Bar Wrapper Brigade. What is a wrapper brigade you ask? In short, collected energy bar, granola bar and cereal bar wrappers get sent to TerraCycle who in turn makes the wrappers into all kinds of products, from tote bags to park benches, bike racks and much more. View a video of the recycling process at Terracycle here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaFYzChe8qA For each wrapper collected, we receive 1 cent that goes to an organization of choice. You can go to www.terracycle.net for more details about their wrapper brigade and numerous other brigades.
To give you a little background on those who have collected for the Vineman Ironman 70.3 contest, our 2009 winner collected just over 1300 wrappers (with some help from her friends). This caught on in 2010 and our winner (along with a lot of help from her tri club friends) collected over 5000 wrappers with two other people each collecting 3000. In 2011, our Vineman Ironman 70.3 winner collected 9,740 wrappers (she is a school teacher and had her class collecting wrappers!). Our 2011 Full Vineman winner, also a school teacher, collected 4735 wrappers and our 2012 winner was Kris Przeor with 3720 wrappers.
Think you can’t collect that many wrappers? Well, if you are a member of a tri club/team or cycling club/team just ask all of the members to save their wrappers. You can make it a group effort and if you are the one that wins your entry fee back you can put it toward a party for everyone. If you belong to a gym or own a bike or tri shop, put posters up asking people to save their wrappers. Or if you put on an event of your own, collect wrappers there!
The person that collects and turns in the most wrappers will win back their entry fee for the 2012 Full Vineman. Here are the details:
- The minimum number of wrappers needed to be eligible is 750. (but we'll take any wrappers you might have!)
- You should bring wrappers with you to packet pick up the day before the race (or to the Full Vineman awards ceremony the day after the race) and turn them in to Amy, the registration coordinator. If you prefer to mail your wrappers, this is acceptable as well but all wrappers need to be mailed together at one time. (mailing address is: Vineman PO Box 6007 Santa Rosa, CA 95406)
- Wrappers should be submitted in a sealed envelope or bag with your name and contact information. To save us some time, please try to put your wrappers in bunches of 100. This helps the counting go much quicker!
- All wrappers will be counted during the 2-3 weeks after the race and the winner announced on the website, after which time a refund check for the entry fee will be mailed out.
- Please note that ONLY energy bar, granola bar and cereal bar wrappers with a silver inner lining will be accepted....no gel wrappers please!!! If you aren't sure if a particular type of wrapper is acceptable please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out.
We'd like to extend a huge thank you to our long time sponsor Clif Bar for teaming up with us on this contest!
If you have any questions, please contact Amy directly at email@example.com.